PRESIDENT, OCP MOUNTAIN WEST DIVISION
Dan Drawbaugh is President, OCP Mountain West Division and Chief Executive Officer of The Steadman Clinic (TSC) and Steadman Philippon Research Institute (SPRI) in Vail, Colorado. As CEO, Drawbaugh leads a team of talented physicians, researchers, scientists, and administrators who make TSC and SPRI one of the most sought-after orthopaedic sports medicine destination centers globally, where world-class medicine and world-class research strategically align.
Since becoming CEO in January 2015, Drawbaugh has presided over key growth initiatives that are delivering impressive results, including a strategic affiliation with Varsity Healthcare Partners—a leading healthcare private equity group—in 2019 and a partnership with Aspen Valley Hospital in 2020, which led to the December 2020 opening of The Steadman Clinic, Aspen. Drawbaugh is currently overseeing additional expansions of TSC in an ambulatory surgery center (ASC) in Dillon, Colorado (opening November 2021) and a clinic, ASC, and SPRI laboratory in Basalt, Colorado (opening March 2022). The Dillon and Basalt expansions include state-of-the-art ambulatory surgery centers, complementing cutting-edge medical office space and SPRI, a regenerative medicine laboratory that will conduct research and enroll patients into SPRI’s federally funded clinical trials from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Department of Defense (DoD). These expansions secure TSC and SPRI as the premier provider of sports medicine care and research in western Colorado, and it continues to be a destination health center for patients from all over the United States and abroad.
Building upon more than two decades of pioneering sports medicine innovation and research, Drawbaugh presided over the TSC flagship in Vail expansion into a new, state-of-the-art Sports Medicine Clinic. SPRI also moved into a new, cutting-edge Research Center comprised of a Regenerative and Translational Medicine Research Lab, Surgical Skills Lab, Biomechanical Lab, and Biomotion Lab that partners with internationally recognized scientists and research institutions. By establishing this new Research Center, SPRI is exponentially expanding the capabilities of its research programs to create valuable and life-changing clinical innovations in sports medicine. With a legacy of philanthropic funding, SPRI has expanded to include support from major federal agencies—the NIH and DoD—a key initiative from Drawbaugh. These agencies are funding five, multi-year clinical trials and involve elite physicians from TSC and leading scientists from SPRI. Under Drawbaugh’s leadership, TSC launched two new business service lines—ProofPoint Biologics and Durable Medical Equipment—and transitioned its Frisco, Colorado clinic into a brand-new, state-of-the-art facility at the Basecamp Center in 2018.
As CEO of TSC and SPRI, Drawbaugh strategically expanded the organization’s partnership with Vail Health, as the two groundbreaking medical facilities entered into a $43 million, 10-year research partnership to continue to advance the organization’s global prominence in sports and orthopaedic medicine through investments in research capabilities and new scientific research facilities.
Under Drawbaugh’s leadership, TSC continues to expand its acclaimed team of surgeons and physicians, including recent additions such as noted joint replacement specialists Dr. Raymond Kim and Dr. Joel Matta, former New England Patriots team physician Dr. Matthew Provencher, former Denver Nuggets team physician Dr. Armando Vidal, foot and ankle specialist Dr. C. Thomas Haytmanek, internist and perioperative medicine specialist Dr. David Kuppersmith, esteemed shoulder, hip and knee surgeon Dr. Leslie Vidal, former SPRI fellow and noted surgeon Dr. Jonathan Godin, hand, wrist and elbow surgeon Dr. Kavi Sachar and Dr. John Peloza, a leading minimally invasive spine surgeon. In addition to these surgeons practicing in TSC Vail, Frisco, and Edwards, Drawbaugh was also instrumental in the recruitment of the five physicians in the new Aspen clinic, including medical director Dr. Jared Lee, Dr. Waqqar Khan-Farooqi, Dr. Thea Wojtkowski, Dr. Dustin Anderson, and Dr. Joseph Ruzbarsky.
Drawbaugh is a proven leader and innovator in healthcare information technology with over 30 years of experience in the areas of information and biomedical technologies. Drawbaugh joined TSC and SPRI from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, where he held the position of Chief Information Officer and other positions for 31 years. He earned a bachelor’s degree in biomedical and electrical engineering technology from Temple University and an MBA from Duquesne University.
Using his entrepreneurial know-how, Drawbaugh has cultivated an outstanding track record of building lasting, revenue-generating partnerships. He has served on many boards, including the Oracle Advisory Board, IBM Advisory Board, and Verizon Wireless Advisory Board.
Honors to Drawbaugh’s credit include:
- Presidential Guest Speaker at International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA) international conference in Madrid, Spain (2019)
- Judge at Medical Capital Innovation Competition (MCIC) (May 2018)
- Welcome speaker at annual Vail Hip Symposium event (January 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- InformationWeek500 – UPMC was named No.1 Innovator of the Year in 2013 recognized for its innovations in technologies across all industries.
- Hospital & Health Networks Most Wired – UPMC is the only organization nationwide to make the list for 14 consecutive years, which recognizes “technically savvy” hospitals. (2013)
- HIMSS – UPMC Presbyterian, UPMC Mercy, Magee-Women’s Hospital of UPMC, UPMC St. Margaret, UPMC Shadyside, UPMC McKeesport, and ISMETT have been recognized by the leading health care technology industry organization for advanced use of a comprehensive electronic medical record (EMR), achieving Stage 6 EMR adoption. Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC has reached Stage 7 EMR Adoption with a completely paperless EMR. (2012)
- Computerworld Honors Program – UPMC was honored as a “Laureate”, which recognizes companies and organizations from around the world whose use of information technology has been especially noteworthy for the originality of its conception, the breadth of its vision and the significance of its benefit to society. (2006, 2008, 2011)
- InformationWeek 500 – UPMC received national recognition for the 10th consecutive year in 2011 by InformationWeek magazine’s annual Top 500 listing of the most innovative users of information technology. UPMC also received the “Healthcare Innovator” award in 2010.
- Best Practices in Imaging & IT – UPMC was declared one of the “Top 25 Connected Healthcare Facilities” by Health Imaging & IT (2008, 2010).
- InformationWeek: Innovator of the Year – Mr. Drawbaugh along with his colleague Rasu Shrestha, MD was named Innovator of the Year for the development of UPMC’s SingleView radiology imaging solution.
- InformationWeek: Global CIO 50 – Drawbaugh was named among the 50 global information technology leaders, touted not only as one of the top CIOs within health care, but also as one the most innovative business technology executives in any field. (2009)
- CIO Magazine – Mr. Drawbaugh was named one of 100 CIOs to achieve excellence. (2000, 2003, 2005, 2008)
- InformationWeek Magazine selected Mr. Drawbaugh as the “Chief of the Year”. InformationWeek, which considers CIOs from all industries, selected Dan because of his aggressive development and unparalleled use of innovative technology to transform health care. (2006)
- Health Imaging & IT Magazine in 2004 named UPMC as a winner as one of the “Top 15 Connected Healthcare Facilities” for advancing healthcare through excellence in implementing digital image and information management strategies.
- Health Imaging & IT Magazine in 2003 recognized UPMC as one of the “Top 10 Hospitals for Innovation in Digital Image and Information Management”.
- UPMC received national recognition as the First-Place award recipient in the 1999 Innovation in Healthcare Information Technology Awards sponsored by Cisco Systems and Modern Healthcare.